Veneers are ceramic restorations with the thickness of 0.3 mm and more. They are used to restore functional movement in mastication as well as teeth esthetics that is just as important. For this type of restoration there is no need of extensive hard tissue removal of the tooth. As a rule, all of the manipulations are made within the limits of enamel under operative microscope control with magnification up to 20 times. It allows receiving maximal effect at the fixation step: veneer becomes sort of one unit with the tooth. Therefore such restored teeth care has no difference from the usual.
Indications for ceramic tooth restoration
Ceramic tooth restoration with veneers is indicated in:
- Incisors chipping;
- Presence of extended composite restoration that lost their esthetics and require replacement and/or occupy more than 75% of surface of the tooth;
- Desire to have a beautiful smile;
- Teeth abrasion.
Ceramic restorations advantages, especially in esthetically significant area:
- Better teeth appearance (restoration does not differ from natural tooth);
- High strength of dental ceramics – virtually the same as a natural enamel;
- Dental ceramics from modern materials does not change the color;
- Long-service life.
In regular attendance of the dentist (1-2 times a year) ceramic restorations may serve 10 years and more. It gives important advantages comparing to composite restorations.
Dental inlays, onlays, and crowns
Dental inlays and onlays are ceramic restorations used in posterior teeth.
Inlays are a perfect substitution for extended composite restorations. Composite shrinks with time and in big volumes it is subjected to chipping and with inlays there is no such a problem.
Onlays are the type of restorations covering masticatory surface in dependence on the underlying situation. Teeth onlays just like veneers may reach thickness up to 0.3mm. It is some kind of veneers for masticatory group of teeth.
- Onlays indications:
- Dental cups erased;
- Composite restoration occupies 75% of surface of the tooth;
- Tooth after endodontic treatment.
Crowns are used for the front teeth as well as for posterior group. They are manufactured in the case of overall affection of crown portion of the tooth as well as after endodontic treatment of teeth in order to securely protect the left part of the tooth and its root from chipping and removing.